At anytime during a life-limiting illness, it is appropriate to discuss all of a patient’s options, including hospice. Below is a list of suggested questions to ask when choosing a hospice.
- Is the agency a licensed hospice?
- Is the agency Medicare certified?
- Is the agency a not-for-profit organization that accepts memorial donations to provide hospice care and support services to patients who cannot afford care?
- Does the agency maintain professional memberships with the Virginia Association for Hospices and the National Hospice Organization?
- Is the hospice staff highly experienced in caring for patients with complex needs including patients with cancer, Alzheimer’s, stroke, end-stage heart or kidney disease, multiple sclerosis, ALS or AIDS?
- Does the agency provide extensive resources and services for individuals dealing with grief and loss?
- Does the agency offer additional services such as Complementary Therapies, Memory Catchers, Doula services, etc.?
Please contact one of our offices if you would like additional information.