At anytime during a life-limiting illness, it is appropriate to discuss all of a patient’s options, including hospice. Below is a list of suggested questions to ask when choosing a hospice.
- Is the agency a licensed hospice?
- Is the agency Medicare certified?
- Is the agency a not-for-profit organization that accepts memorial donations to provide hospice care and support services to patients who cannot afford care?
- Does the agency maintain professional memberships with the Virginia Association for Hospices and the National Hospice Organization?
- Is the hospice staff highly experienced in caring for patients with complex needs including patients with cancer, Alzheimer’s, stroke, end-stage heart or kidney disease, multiple sclerosis, ALS or AIDS?
- Does the agency provide extensive resources and services for individuals dealing with grief and loss?
- Does the agency offer additional services such as Complementary Therapies, Memory Catchers, Doula services, etc.?
Please contact one of our offices if you would like additional information or other questions to ask.